Friday 23 May 2014

Article 6

Correct use of English?


Of course, lots of foreign language learners of English language complain English is too difficult, there are just too many tenses. None of us can deny that fact that English is one of those languaages with complex linguistic systems. Not only do we have to learn grammatically correct sentences, we also have to learn its contextual use i.e how it sounds when you speak it in public among other speakers. sometimes we just aren't aware of what to say. For example, I once did something for my younger sister and she said Thank you. then I replied her that ' You are welcome' and well, not knowing what to say, she replied ' Amin'.


Another one was quite recent, and I was chatting with a female friend on Facebook. So she said ' i thought u come alone wanna sleep with u. but then u have bro".

What she meant actually was that ' i thought you were coming alone, then I would have slept at your place, but then you have a brother with you. I'm not sure whether she had been translating directly from her native language

And then I almost got into shock when someone typed to me 'May Allah spear your life'. Obviously this person has gotten it wrong in pronunciation matching with the spelling.

But what can one do to master well one's proficiency in the English language ?
I would say mostly it has t do with how much exposure we have to the language, are we properly motivated to learn it? what is the perception and attitude of our society to the language? and most important of all 'Are we putting into practice what we've learnt?

but then again, we arent native speakers of English, we have our own  mother tongues. 
but i still like the saying that 'one should practice perfection in all one does'

No comments:

Post a Comment